Step into a new era of interior design. Study the basics of color theory, drafting, and furniture along with current trends in sustainability, building codes and architecture. On the "business side," learn about contracts, setting fees, and professional resources. Study with practicing professionals who have successfully made their way, and transform your passion into a new career.
- Are highly motivated to enter the design field.
- Might benefit personally or professionally from directed study and practice in interior design.
What You'll Learn
- Fundamentals of interior design principles, materials and resources
- Drafting designs for residential and commercial spaces
- Essentials of color theory, furniture design, and space planning
- Professional presentation skills and business practices
- History of architectural interiors and latest trends and techniques
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Certification and experience can prepare you for positions which are available in a variety of industries all over the world, and can be found in self-employment, firms, government, or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- Interior designer or decorator
- Project manager
- Workplace design leader
“I have always been interested in interior design. I chose UCR Extension's program which provided me the knowledge and confidence I needed. I am grateful for the many opportunities I gained from the very talented and knowledgeable instructors who worked with me to discover and develop my potential. I have been applying that knowledge with every new client or challenge I face.”
Designer & Student Representative
ASID Board of Palm Springs
Inland Empire Chapter
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- High school education or equivalent.
- A background in art or design is helpful, but not required.
Upon successful completion of our program, you earn a Professional Certificate in Interior Design, but professional certification is a separate, optional process.
- You must pass the NCIDQ examination to become certified.
- The eligibility requirements reflect the guiding principle that at least six years combined of college-level interior design education and interior design work experience are essential to prepare you for the examination and professional practice.
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
“Interior Design has always been my passion, so it's natural for me to teach it to others. Join me and learn to create beautiful environments, and become excited to see how those environments enhance our everyday lives. We will talk about the interesting aspects of today's design world, and I will teach you to give your clients, with your best knowledge, the kind of space they want.”
Interior Designer & Instructor
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising
Palm Springs & Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.