Our flexible, convenient program is designed for teachers who have, or will have, a full-time teaching position in a school/school district or charter/private school and who have access to a California Credentialed site mentor teacher. In addition to clearing your preliminary credential, you will learn about the benefits and challenges of today's classroom environment, improve the way you manage your classroom on a daily basis and learn how to recognize future professional development opportunities.
Credentialed teachers who have, or will have, a full-time teaching position in a school/school district or charter/private school, and hold a valid SB 2042 Preliminary Multiple or Single Subject California Teaching Credential (issued on or after August 30, 2004).
What You'll Learn
- Multiple measures for student assessment
- Methods and techniques for teaching English Learners
- Effective uses of computer-based technology in the classroom
- Curriculum and instruction strategies
- Skills and strategies for teaching special populations
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Teaching positions are available in both public and private schools.
“I was able to work on clearing my credential through UCR Extension's online program while working full time. The flexibility and affordability was essential for my teacher salary and busy life.”
Reading Intervention Teacher
San Marcos Unified School District
San Marcos, CA
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure you meet the following minimum requirements:
- A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Preliminary Teacher Credential coursework
- California SB 2042 Preliminary Multiple or Single Subject credential
- Passage of the CBEST
- Three letters of recommendation or professional references that reflect your academic competence and teaching performance
- Site mentor checklist signed by your principal
California law requires teachers in the UCR Extension Clear Credential Program to:
- Complete 19 quarter units (grade of B or better) of postgraduate study in curriculum and instruction, pedagogical skills, assessing student learning, teaching English Learners, teaching Special Populations, and educational technology.
- Obtain a site mentor teacher who holds a valid Clear CA Credential, possesses a Master's degree or higher, and is accessible for conducting observations and mentoring on an on-going basis.
Site Support Teacher Requirement
Submit rubrics to email@example.com by the end date of each course to avoid a delayed recommendation to the CTC:
- Effective Use of Technology
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Multiple Measures for Assessing Student Learning
- Teaching English Learners
- Teaching Special Populations
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
“Whatever your goal, completing a professional certificate program will give you confidence to reach for the top. Join thousands of UCR Extension students whose lives have been transformed by our programs.”
Dr. Sharon Duffy
UCR Extension Professional Studies
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.