What You'll Learn
- Develop, plan, implement, and evaluate a school counseling and guidance program that includes academic, career, personal, and social development
- Advocate for the high academic achievement and social development of all students
- Provide school wide prevention and intervention strategies and counseling services
- Provide consultation, training, and staff development to teachers and parents regarding students' needs
- Supervise a district-approved advisory program as described in California Education Code, Section 49600
What You Can Do
Positions are available in public and private junior high or high schools as:
- School Counselor
Who Should Attend
Individuals with a bachelor's degree who want to become a K-12 school counselor.
- A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Passage of a CTC basic skills proficiency examination
What You Should Know
In addition to program coursework, students must complete:
- 600 hours of fieldwork required at three levels: elementary, middle, and high school
- A culmination portfolio
CTC PPS School Counseling Standards
The CTC has identified 32 standards required to earn this credential.
- Generic Standards
- Specialization Standards
- Core Knowledge Base and Foundations
- Professional Skills and Training
- Domains of School Counseling and Guidance
- Themes of School Counselor Preparation
- Functions of School Counselors
- Field Experience and Competency Evaluation
You may be eligible to transfer up to 16 units of coursework, under the following conditions:
- Must be from accredited college(s) or university(-ies) completed within the last five years.
- Official transcripts are required.
- Submit a request in writing.
What is a Hybrid Program?
- Required face-to-face classroom instruction.
- Online instruction and activities.
Unless otherwise noted:
- All coursework must be completed within five years.
- Cost does not include textbooks and materials.
Earning the Certificate
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
“Whatever your goal, completing a professional certificate program will give you confidence to reach for the top. Join thousands of UCR Extension students whose lives have been transformed by our programs.”
Dr. Sharon Duffy
UCR Extension Professional Studies
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.