Those who currently have a position or aspire to have a position in:
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Purchasing management
- Contract Management
- Operations management within logistics or supply chain organizations
- Transportation-related fields (i.e., trucking, rail or intermodel transportation firms)
What You'll Learn
- Examine the principles and practices of purchasing, from requirements to receipt.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities in purchasing and materials management.
- Examine current issues, trends, and best practices in purchasing and supply chain management, using case studies.
- Study inventory control and warehousing.
- Learn legal requirements, contract negotiation, price/cost analysis, and management of outside resources and suppliers.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in a variety of industries all over the world, and can be found in corporations, government, or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- Materials Analyst
- Purchasing Manager
- Process Engineer
- Transportation Manager
- Global Supply Chain Manager
“Earning my Professional Certificate has enhanced my career, and given me the confidence to become unstoppable in achieving my goals. A special thanks to all of the instructor who brought insight from their own professional experiences, and shared them with us. Their real-life examples enhanced the learning experience, and made the concepts relatable.”
Shiloh A. Rogers
Procurement & Contract Specialist
City of Riverside
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- High school education or equivalent
- National Association of Purchasing Managers (NAPM)/Institute of Supply Managers (ISM) Inland Empire, Inc.
- California Association of Public Purchasing Officers, Inc.
- Distribution Management Association of Southern California
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Learn the principles and practices of purchasing from determining the requirements for goods and services through their receipt.
- Materiel handling
- Quality assurance
- Quantity determination
- Price and cost analysis
- Supplier relations
- Industry best practices
- Common terminology and methods of purchasing
- Purchasing standards
Provides a comprehensive study of inventory control and warehousing as key functions within the supply chain. Major topics include inventory fundamentals and vocabulary, economic order quantity, independent demand ordering systems, and the receiving, tracking, shipping and storing of material and finished goods inventories. Other topics include just-in-time inventory control practices; the use of technology to track, monitor and organize inventory; warehouse operations; staffing, safety and training; communication and reporting; and the overall function of inventory control within the organization. Also discussed are the role and responsibilities of inventory control managers and the link between warehouse operations and internal and external customers, vendors and suppliers.
Surveys current trends, issues and best practices in purchasing and supply chain management. Topics include the challenges and changes affecting purchasing, technology and automation in purchasing and supply change management processes, materiel handling, working with suppliers, staff and materiel, outsourcing, procurement coordination, control and verification. Seminar and cases studies provide participants with real world examples and opportunities to apply the skills they develop throughout the course.
“Whatever your goal, completing a professional certificate program will give you confidence to reach for the top. Join thousands of UCR Extension students whose lives have been transformed by our programs.”
Dr. Sharon Duffy
UCR Extension Professional Studies
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.