- Wish to enter the field of GIS or apply GIS applications in their current profession
- Wish to sharpen current GIS skills and obtain a certificate to validate their expertise
What You'll Learn
- Learn concepts and applications of GIS technology.
- Obtain hands-on experience using the latest GIS software.
- Use geospatial technology to develop solutions to issues facing communities and industry.
- Explore interdisciplinary elements of GIS including cartography, topology, database design and spatial analysis.
- Understand how GIS is used within health care, public works, natural and historical resources, environmental management and other fields.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in a variety of industries, and can be found in small firms or companies, corporations, government, or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- GIS Technician
- GIS Analyst
- GIS Coordinator or Manager
- GIS Developer
“Utilizing GIS has helped my department's management team decide how to best allocate resources. The dynamics of the subject areas made this educational experience an amazing one!”
Maria Martha Moreno
CIS Business Systems Analyst III
Riverside County Department of Mental Health
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Windows.
- Successful completion of one of the following:
- Introduction to ArcGIS
- Learning ArcGIS Desktop: A Self-paced Online Course
- Equivalent courses from accredited college or university (official transcripts required)
- Consent of program coordinator
You must have a PC with internet access and appropriate software.
Participate in a GIS field study/internship (minimum: 60 hours) to earn 1.5 units toward your requirements.
Gateway to a Master's Degree
Some course credits may be applied toward a specialized MBA at La Sierra University.
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
“I carried out my first GIS project while I was in high school in Ghana, plotting all government schools using ArcView GIS. I love teaching and sharing my knowledge in GIS with others. My students will go back to their jobs, or start a new one, with a new skill set and renewed minds as it relates to spatial thinking.”
City of Rancho Cucamonga
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.