Registered nurses (RNs) who are looking to explore a new career path.
What You'll Learn
- Review, analyze and interpret medical records and related medical documents and prepare reports succinctly summarizing that information.
- Act as a consultant on health care issues to attorneys in diverse legal settings.
- Identify standard of care issues and relationship to claimed injuries and damages.
- Develop and build a practice as an independent consultant and nursing expert witness.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in insurance companies, hospitals, government agencies, and risk management organizations.
“Nursing is not only in the hospital, it is everywhere! It is working with lawyers, law enforcement, giant companies, the school districts, and more. All for the purpose of making someone's life better, healthier, and whole. UCR Extension provides excellent and well-rounded training for nursing professionals.”
Staff RN ICU/RRT Kaiser Permanente and SART RN
Rancho Springs Medical Center
Riverside and Murrieta, CA
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be a registered nurse (RN) with at least an associates degree
- Have an email address and access to the Internet
Earn California Board of Registered Nursing continuing education credit. UCR Extension is an accredited provider (#11713).
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
“I have been an RN for 40 years, and teaching for UCR Extension for almost 20 years. For me, teaching is the joy of touching new generations of nurses with wit and wisdom. My role is to find something special about each student and help them see how their old job connects to a new, exciting future through education.”
RN & Owner
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.