Individuals who are:
- Seeking an understanding of the elements of marketing for both entry-level positions as well as career advancement.
- Although marketing is typically considered a business subject, anyone who can benefit from an intensive study in the field is welcome to attend.
What You'll Learn
- Learn key marketing principles, essential functions, and contemporary marketing practices.
- Develop a practical understand of how marketing affects profitability and growth.
- Examine the sources of marketing information and the quantitative and qualitative processes for collecting information.
- Analyze consumers' motivations to buy, their needs and desires, and the methods for satisfying them.
- Learn how to develop, implement and manage competitive marketing strategies.
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Positions are available in industries around the world, and can be found in private firms or companies, government or nonprofit organizations. They might include:
- Marketing analyst
- Marketing sales representative
- Marketing account executive
- Advertising sales director
“I wanted to back my on-the-job marketing skills with a formal professional certificate. The classes were informative and taught by instructors with real-world experience. My employer increased my marketing influence with added responsibilities--allowing me to make a greater impact on the organization.”
International E-Z UP, Inc.
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- High school education or equivalent
Endorsed by the California Inland Counties chapter of the American Marketing Association (CICAMA).
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
Effective marketing is a key determinant of success in a highly competitive marketplace. This course introduces key principles of marketing, essential marketing functions and contemporary marketing practices in order to develop a practical understanding of how marketing affects profitability and growth in an organization. Topics include:
- Fundamental concepts and processes
- The marketing environment
- Market research and analysis
- Market segmentation
- Product positioning
- Image management
- Product development
- Strategy implementation
Analyze consumer desire/needs and methods for satisfying them.
- Stimulate demand for an organization's products and services
- Internal factors for consumer decisions (beliefs, attitudes, perceptions, emotions)
- External factors (class, peer groups, family structure, culture, society, stereotypes)
- Buying behavior patterns
Marketing management requires objective information about the market served in order to make intelligent business decisions. This course examines marketing information sources, the market research process, and data collection and analysis, including consumer/customer surveys and test marketing. Both quantitative and qualitative research are examined with discussions and analysis about the value and the limitations of data and how to evaluate results and make recommendations for action.
Examines marketing strategy to allow your organization to achieve a competitive advantage in a rapidly changing world.
- Create a comprehensive marketing plan that meets your goals
- Distinguish your organization, product or service from competitors
- Implementing and manage competitive marketing strategies to achieve marketing and organizational goals
- Evaluate and assess the potential effectiveness of alternative strategies as they relate to mission, resources and goals
“I make myself available to my students, and listen to their context in order to understand where they are coming from. I enjoy involving them in the real world of entrepreneurship, leadership, intrapreneurship, marketing, sales, and import/export through my life experiences. It's a privilege to be part of their lives.”
Faculty, M.B.A. Program
Mount Saint Mary's College
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.