Developed in collaboration with the College Board and the only one of its kind in the nation, this certificate spotlights the latest instructional strategies for teaching AP classes while providing well-informed approaches to help reinforce key actions for developing an overall successful, school-wide AP program.
Teachers interested in teaching Advanced Placement to students at varying grade levels.
What You'll Learn
- Effective methods for delivering instruction in AP classrooms
- Intervention and support strategies to ensure student success
- Ways to support AP; programs on school budget through various fiscal and grant opportunities
- The relationship of honors and other classes that lead to AP courses
- Legal and ethical considerations for offering AP programs
- The role of vertical teams and how to manage them for optimal success
- Overall grading procedures and the process and philosophy for scoring exams
- Strategies for working with diverse student populations
What You Can Do With This Certificate
Teaching positions are available in both public and private schools.
“These classes helped me understand the background and foundation of the Advanced Placement course. Coming from a pre-AP teacher perspective without any years of teaching AP courses yet, this familiarized me with AP Central and the formalities of the program.”
Biology and Physics Teacher
Arlington High School
Earning the Certificate
Prior to enrolling, please ensure that you meet the following minimum requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution
For more information see How to Earn a Certificate
Our certificate programs are designed to be flexible, allowing you the option to take just a few courses or to earn the complete certificate. If choosing to complete the certificate, we recommend you get the most out of your experience by following the suggested completion path below.
“The constant changes and updates to Advanced Placement program redesign focuses on thinking skills and inquiry-based learning. This brings new energy and challenges to AP professional development. I enjoy sharing best practices and finding solutions for teachers who wish to maximize student learning.”
James K. Bokern
U.S. History Teacher and Endorsed Consultant, The College Board & AP Reader
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback about the UCR Extension website. Please be sure to include all relevant information to ensure that we can follow up with your request as soon as possible.