The Medical Interpreting Course will introduce the bilingual and bicultural individual to a description of the Limited English Proficient (LEP) Population. It will focus on the distribution in the U.S., including barriers, challenges, and benefits of providing language services to this group. Federal mandates to provide Language Access Services will be studied in detailed. The course will also cover the modes and roles of interpretation, how to manage a session, medical interpreting code of ethics, cultural competency and introduction to medical terminology.
- Learn how to manage a Medical Interpreting Session applying the modes and roles of interpreters.
- Enhance memory and change modes and roles of interpreting depending on session needs.
- Apply professional ethics and standards of practice to common healthcare interpreting situations.
- Learn how to interpret basic health related sessions in the consecutive and simultaneous mode.
- How to utilize appropriate techniques and vocabulary to sight translate basic health related documents.